Tuesday, April 29, 2008

In Bed With Her Italian Boss - Kate Hardy


This is the first Kate Hardy book I’ve ever read and I’m so glad I did! It’s a little like Prince Charming meets Sleeping Beauty. Gio is one handsome, sexy and talented Italian. He believes in commitment and family and is a man who made sacrifices for that family. At one time he dreamed of being a musician. However when his father became ill, he rose to the cause and took over the family coffee business giving up his dream.

Fran, is the oldest in her family and was adopted when her parents thought they couldn’t have any children which was inaccurate as they eventually had twins boys and a girl. Fran always felt awkward, a sense of not belonging as her siblings excelled at everything they attempted; where Fran definitely was not an academic as the rest of her family.

Fran frequents the Mazetti coffee shop and one particular day stops in feeling a little off as she’s just been told her job is being eliminated. She feels comfortable talking with Gio and in the end, Gio offers Fran a job as his office manager as he needs someone to organize his business because he wants to expand.

What both Fran and Gio don’t count as their working relationship and friendship progress is their attraction for each other. Gio’s family adore him and want him happy so when they learn of Fran they believe her to be more than his office manager. This situation works well for Gio as his Nonna is soon to visit so he asks Fran to pose as his girlfriend for the entire family. What they both don’t count on is how their relationship develops from friendship to lovers. What Fran doesn’t count on is for the very first time, she actually feels she belongs


This is one sweet and tender love story……an awakening of sorts for both Gio and Fran and one you definitely will not want to miss thanks to Kate Hardy’s storytelling ability!


Book Description:

Having just been fired, Francesca has three immediate requirements: a coffee, an extremely calorific pastry and a new job. Stopping off at her favorite café, Giovanni's, she manages to pick up all three!

Working for darkly handsome Giovanni Mazetti is fantastic—except Fran discovers the job comes with a tantalizing caveat: pretending to be his adoring girlfriend! Soon their kisses start happening in private as well as in public, and although Fran knows it's all a game to Giovanni, she can't help wishing his feelings were for real….

3 comments:

Kate Hardy said...

Thank you so much for your review, Marilyn. I'm delighted that you liked my lovely Gio!
all best
Kate

Marilyn Shoemaker said...

What was there not to love Kate. You will be an auto buy for me....your a fantastic author!

Anonymous said...

BEHIND THE BOOK:

"One of my bad habits is lattes. (Skinny lattes... so maybe it's not that bad...) I love lattes. If I take the kids out, we always end up in a café, and they could probably order for me! Being the nerd I am, I had to find out exactly how a barista makes lattes. (This involved much research, which my husband said was sitting around in a café with the kids or friends - but to be authentic you have to do your research properly.)

And that's when it hit me. I could do a book set in a café. With a barista hero. Except Gio didn't really want to be a barista - he's given up his dreams of being a musician, for the sake of his family. He loves his family, but he's tired of them trying to run his life and get him to settle down.

Add Fran, a heroine who really wants to be part of a big, loving family but her past makes her think she's unloveable. And the fact that Gio's family believe she's his girlfriend, no matter what he says (and he adores his grandmother, so he persuades Fran to go along with it just while his grandmother's over from Milan). And a neighbour from hell. And the fact that the hero shares something with actor Rufus Sewell... (No, of course I'm not telling you what. It's a crucial scene in the book. Let's just say I really, really enjoyed writing that scene.)

It's dedicated to to Jim Knight, my guitar teacher. Jim's taught me to play some of the pieces that Gio plays to Fran in the book (notably the Bach and the Beethoven) ? and he's played some of the other pieces to me (the ones that are way beyond my skill level!). My husband also helped here - although it's not part of the book, I talked him into playing Peter Green and Nick Drake to me. And that set the tone for some of the scenes between Fran and Gio, so I should credit him with being my research assistant . . .

Fran cooks Gio chicken arrabbiata. I love Italian food, so I enjoyed coming up with my own version.

And I'm absolutely thrilled that the judges of the RNA Romance Prize 2008 chose this book as the winner, calling it warm and believeable with a realistic ending." Kate Hardy

 

web page counters