Sunday, April 27, 2008

UK Readers & Authors - Participate in Interview celebrating Mills and Boon?


As posted by author Kate Walker on The Pink Heart Society:

Julie Moggan from UK's Channel 4 is doing a documentary on romance authors and readers in conjunction with Mills and Boon 100th Celebrations.

So I promised to post a letter from Julie to you all. And the PHS eds have agreed to let me do it because we think this is a project that deserves our support. With contributions from as many of us as possible, Julie will be able to collect up the material she needs to give an unbiased, accurate and up to date view of what M&B romance –writing and reading – is all about. We have a chance to put our case and have it heard and reported fairly.

So here’s Julie’s letter asking for contributions and for people to talk to her about what they love about Mills & Boon, why you love to read it or write it. I hope that lots of you will volunteer to chat with her so that she can get as wide arrange of opinions, interests, ages etc as possible. The only limit I have to mention is that, obviously, due to budget restrictions and the fact that most commissioning editors only want UK based ideas, Julie is looking for UK readers and writers for the final documentary:

Hi there, my name’s Julie. I’m a documentary maker and a fan of romantic fiction. I want to make a warm, intelligent documentary that celebrates the Mills & Boon publishing phenomenon in the year of its centenary. I want the film to take us into the personal worlds of Mills & Boon novelists and avid readers, to uncover the secrets of Mills & Boon’s enduring success and find answers to the perennial question ‘What do women really want ?!?!’.

I’m at the very early stages of research and at this point I’m very keen to chat to avid fans of Mills & Boon novels, to hear what it is about the books that they love so much. I would also really love to hear from Mills & Boon novelists, to learn more about their lives & writing. I had a really exciting and inspiring meeting with Kate Walker last week and she very kindly offered to make this posting on my behalf. So please do get in touch if you would be willing to talk. All discussion at this point would be off-camera and you’d be under no obligation to appear in the final documentary.

I look forward to hearing from you and telling you more about my project.

All the best
Julie Moggan
juliemoggan@yahoo.com

I so agree with Kate that sometimes romance authors and readers get a bad rep. Even though I can't participate here from the US, I did email Julie sharing my thoughts about the romance community and pointed out some professions my favorite authors had before writing romance. In a blog post, Ally Blake also mentions she wishes she lived in the UK and could participate! I agree....... this is an extremely important project! Hopefully when the project is completed those of you in the UK will share with us!

So, if you reside in the UK, please contact Julie and help to celebrate "romance".

No comments:

 

web page counters