Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Emily Lear - Author of Ladies of Market Street (Kindle edition)

Book Description:

When Veronica Baldwin unexpectedly finds herself fighting a sex slave ring, she is not only struggling for her own life, she is fighting for her stolen “sister,” An.


Veronica knows well the face of the man responsible for An’s disappearance, and tragically, she knows his involvement means An is dead.

Only this time, Veronica makes sure he pays for his sins with an eye for an eye.

Veronica’s war has begun, but it is not her’s to fight alone.

When Veronica chased after her stolen sister, she left behind her flock of soiled doves. Three ladies just as devastated by their common sister’s abduction and violent death as Veronica, and just as ready to seek vengeance.

Veronica brought together those ladies to save them from deadly fates on New York’s meanest streets.

She took them from their rootless and solitary lives and gave them back their minds, their souls, and their choices.

Together they created their sisterhood; a modern-day brothel disguised by the fa├žade of a real-estate firm.

These women bring men’s fantasies to life in vacant apartments scattered throughout Manhattan, and their services are highly sought after.

Now, Veronica has failed one of her sisters. The pain inside her guides her and the sisterhood to avenge the murder of one of their own.

Through a thrilling but heartbreaking investigation that utilizes their access to the most powerful men in New York, the girls realize that the slavery ring’s chain of command runs all the way up to the City’s highest levels.



Emily, welcome to Marilyn's Romance Reviews. How long have you been writing and what was your call story?

I actually just found my journal from elementary school. For some reason I wrote every entry as if speaking to my journal like it was my best friend. I even thanked it for listening in my sign off. Writing has always been therapeutic for me. It was during my first heart wrenching breakup that I became truly attached to writing and just couldn’t stop.
What are you currently working on?

Now I am writing the Ladies next journey, and I am excited to see what path Veronica and Jake take. The awesome chance to write a sequel has given me the opportunity to dive deeper into the world of the Ladies, and their individual backgrounds.
Is there a back story to Ladies of the Market?

Yes there is a back story, however it has nothing to do with running my own brothel. I did work in a real-estate agency in New York City. The agents were all starving artists of some kind trying to pay the rent. When you give beautiful, creative, young New Yorkers keys to every empty apartment in Manhattan… Well let’s just say I had to write about it.
It wasn’t until I met my husband that I wrote the character Jake. I never felt comfortable writing a man until I met him. After that I just couldn’t get the character out of my head
Do you plot your stories or let your characters lead you.

I do plot my stories. I always think the plot makes perfect sense until I put my characters in it. That’s when I have to give the story up to them. When you write about such strong women you can’t make them do anything. The best part is when they end up doing something so much more amazing than you could have ever plotted out. 
Of all of your characters, do you have a favorite you identify with and why?

My favorite character is Jake. I adore him and love writing him. He is goofy and debonair at the same time. I don’t want to call him charming because he is so sincere, but he does have a way about him. Writing his dialoged comes so easily to me. I love his back and forth with his FBI partner Holland, and when he is with Veronica I just lose myself in the moment. It’s my favorite kind of day dreaming. I put a lot of my husband into Jake, but he does have my sense of humor, and when it comes to opening his heart to Veronica it is all me. He knows there is something special about her, and even though he has no idea what he is doing as far as winning her heart, he doesn’t play games. He is just Jake.
What is the best thing about your job as an author? What is the hardest thing?

The best thing about my job as an author is the opportunity to be creative. I have always been a day dreamer. I have struggled my entire life to stop day dreaming, so I can concentrate in class or on my job. When I’m writing I don’t have to stop day dreaming. I get to let my mind go where ever it wants, and then follow it on an amazing adventure. Then I write it down to share it with the world.


The hardest thing about writing is actually putting the writing out there to be read. This story has come from so deep within me that when someone reads it I feel I am standing naked in front of them, letting them see every part of me. This is the hardest part, but it can also be the most thrilling.
Describe a day in the life of Emily Lear.

Oh my writing days are my favorite days of the week. I start the day with Morning Pages. These are three pages of all the junk that is flowing around in my head. By page three my mind is organized and ready to wander down the fun path. I am crazy organized on these days, so next I make my To Do List. It is everything down to the littlest detail, like kiss your husband, and have breakfast. As if I would ever forget to do either of those. After breakfast I go into my writing space. My dog River sleeps at my feet, and my cat Paddle is lurking around at all times. I grab a few pens and my crisp pad of paper and off I go. Once I am in writing mode, it’s hard to get me out. But somehow Paddle always knows if I am taking my story in the wrong direction. Only then will he insist that I scratch his nose until he yawns. By the time I return to my writing, I have to go back and read a bit, and that is when I realize I need to trash some stuff and try again. Good kitty! This goes on until the sun starts to set.
At this point my head is so lost in the world of my story that the only way to join reality is to take River for a run. By the time we get back, my husband is home and cooking something amazing for dinner. I tell him all about the adventures I’m discovering with my Ladies, and he tells me all about his day. The food is excellent and my mind is exhausted, and I can’t wait to do it all over again!
What is something you definitely want readers to know about you?

My writing is fiction. My plots are totally made up, but the soul of every character I write is based on someone I truly love. I am surrounded by strong women in my life, and each character is so close to my heart, because they are borne from my best friends. They are all women who have inspired me throughout my own adventures.
Scene you like most and would never cut.

My favorite scene would have to be when Veronica and Jake have to work in close-quarters with one another. Men and women have a hard enough time figuring each other out, but Veronica comes from a world that sees men solely as means for profit. Understanding that Jake has feelings and a mind that is not dictated by his mojo, is a brand new concept for Veronica and extremely hard for her to comprehend. But she can’t deny or control how she feels around him. Jake’s sweet charm carries the conversation between them, and even though Veronica only says one syllable words in response, her heart flutters at how easy it is for them to have a conversation. This moment makes me laugh and fall in love with both of them.
Thing your heroine would never be caught dead doing/saying:

Veronica would go to the end of the earth for the people she loves. Though “Ladies of Market Street”” is full of women, there is no cattiness or back stabbing. Veronica would never betray the ones she loves. That’s not to say there aren’t strong opinions bouncing back and forth. Veronica is just strong enough to say what she has to say to their faces. I feel this quality makes Veronica stronger and so much easier to fall in love with. 
Scene in the book that moved you the most as you wrote it, or made you the most happy?

It would have to be when we get to see Veronica as a child. Veronica is beaten very badly, and in her pain, she escapes to her childhood home. Veronica has a moment with her mother that is from a very raw part of me. The two of them are very close, and the underlying emotion is Veronica’s fear of losing her deathly-ill mother. Veronica tells her Mother about a boy from school who wanted to kiss her. This is where we see how Veronica’s upbringing colors her attitude towards men, because neither one of them can figure out why he would expect her to kiss him. By the end of the scene, Veronica is sleeping in her mother’s arms. I feel we get to see into Veronica’s heart in this scene, and afterwards you just want her to find love and be happy. Every time I read this scene I tear up. Their bond is very real to me, and I hope my readers find it the same way.
Have you learned or found any bizarre facts while doing research?

Veronica’s family tree travels back into the Wild West brothels. I had a lot of fun researching this era. The madame’s of the brothel’s, and the women within them, were some of the most fascinating women of the time. By day, the women would use their time to help the sick and homeless. By night, they were “helping out” the most powerful men in town. Because these women were so well-connected, men would go to the brothels for their news and political banter.
What is one thing in your history that has influenced your writing, whether it’s a character, your work habits, or your favorite plot conflict?

I love writing about love. I am a romantic, and letting my head wander into a world of romance has always been my favorite day dreaming escape. But every time I used to write about love there was something missing. My heroes were never real. I was incapable of writing about the great guy in my head, because I had never met a real one before. Once I met my husband, that door just opened. I started to understand him, and as I did so, my heroes became three dimensional. Now I am not only able to write a great hero, I am able to put him into a great love story.
What’s next?

Next is “Ladies of Market Street” number two! I am having so much fun finding out where my characters are going, and what they are doing next. Veronica and Jake are from such different worlds. I am just as excited as my readers to find out what is going to happen with them. And whether or not I will have to answer the age old question, “A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where are they going to live?” I’m having way too much fun!
What are you currently reading?

Believe it or not, I just picked up “Romeo and Juliette” for the nine hundredth time. I like to pick it up whenever my life takes a new journey to see how I react to it. Funny, I still get just as many goose bumps as when I was a teenaged girl reading it for the first time.
Before I let you go is there anything I forgot to ask that you want the readers and fans to know?

I am so excited to be talking with you about “Ladies of Market Street.” My entire journey from writing to publishing has been such a thrill, and to be interviewed by a resource I turn to for my next reads is icing on the cake!
Ladies of the Market Street has received five 5 Star reviews

Website
Emily on Twitter
Ladies of Market Street
XYNO Books

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emily Lear is a fantastic writer, a relentless dreamer and an even more wonderful person!

Thanks for posting this interview so we can get to know her better.

 

web page counters